Friday, May 8, 2020

The Celebration of Success



Thirteen years ago at this time, I was planning to leave my award winning career as a VA social worker to "heal my life." In December of 2006, I was diagnosed with a progressive neuromuscular disease, Post Polio Syndrom and told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. After getting still and asking for Divine Guidance, I realized a path for healing was opening before me and I needed to take that leap of faith in order to follow that path.

I was led to the sport of running of all things although I had never run a day in my life! One of my defining moments early on in my quest for the Unicorn also known as declaring in February of 2008 that I was going to run the 2009 Boston Marathon happened during the Marathon Sports 5 Miler Road Race:


From "Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance":

After my first road race, The Corrib Pub Run 5K, we signed up for the Marathon Sports 5 Miler in July of 2008. It was hot. It was an evening race. I had just begun my running career.

Our first 5 mile race was the Marathon Sports 5 miler. It was a hot, steamy evening in July. We got lost on the way to the race. Tempers were running as hot as the thermometer because I was so anxious about running my first five mile race. My energy tended to wane by the evening as I was continuing to deal with the late effects of polio. We finally arrived and walked around trying to enjoy the pre-race festivities. As everyone took their place at the start, I could see that this was a serious, competitive running crowd; quite a contrast to my first race ever, the Corrib Pub Run 5K in June.

Runners went out fast and Tom and I were in the back of the pack with a few other people. Even they took off. I experienced my first (of many) marathon training meltdowns. I cried as I shared with Tom all the memories of having kids take off and leave me behind that were bubbling to the surface. I was sweating and tired and hot. I couldn’t tell where my tears ended and sweat began. I told Tom I had no business training for the Boston Marathon. He was amazing and he told me that I couldn’t quit. We would make it through this race and we would make it through every training run. He believed in me when I did not believe in myself. I did know, however, that if I didn’t finish that race, I would never make it to the starting line of the Boston Marathon. Alison, Brookline Marathon Sports store manager who was named our mother hen during Boston Marathon training, gave me water and a high five out on the course. She was worried about me in the heat and wanted to make sure I was okay.

Despite finishing dead last, members of the Marathon Sports family who knew the story of Team McManus, had air horns and a truck on the field honking and blowing and cheering us on to the finish. I knew training for Boston was not going to be easy, but I knew I had what it was going to take to make it happen.


When we crossed the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon:


all that mattered was the success of that moment!

The grueling miles we put into training. The pain I experienced as a survivor of paralytic polio training for my first marathon with no prior running experience seemed to melt away when I stepped on the finish line on Boylston Street.

Thirteen years after leaving my career, I experience success as a blogger, author, poet, and motivational speaker. Those times of financial insecurity, uncertainty about my whether or not I had declared too bold a goal given my diagnosis and whether or not I really had the power to transform my life and transcend my past are all behind me as success overshadows the challenges of these past 13 years. In the midst of this pandemic. I do have my moments of anxiety and worry but success breeds success and confidence in experiencing success whatever the challenge may be.

Success is measured in different ways for different people so be kind to yourself in terms of how you frame your success. Be sure to:


As someone who has endured many many challenges in life beginning with contracting polio at age 5 and enduring years of abuse at the hands of family members, I can unequivocally bear witness to the truth that celebrating success overshadows the hardships that were endured along the way.

To celebrating your success!

From my heart to yours
In health and wellness
With love and peace
Mary

Be sure to visit my website to learn more about my inspirational journey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the Boston Marathon and beyond!

My books are available on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment