Monday, June 15, 2020

I am in competition with no one...



Many of my friends have said how it's difficult to stay motivated with running since there are no in person races. During the initial phases of the pandemic, I felt sluggish in my runs. Running by parks and playgrounds with caution tape and orange caution signs without the joyous sounds of children before school or during recess was gut wrenching. The uncertainty of it all and the fear and anxiety streaming from the media and social media took its toll. Race after race was cancelled and social distancing and masks became the norm limiting running routes. The focus was on avoiding other people, putting masks on and off and just getting through the miles rather than feeling the joy of running.

Once the Reservoir reopened on Route 9, we had a beautiful renovated space in which to run with relative ease of social distancing but throughout my 13 year health and wellness journey healing the effects of paralytic polio , I know that motivation comes from within and needs to happen regardless of external circumstances.

My first step back after the shock of the pandemic was to truly relish and enjoy runs. As the weather warmed and we were treated to a beautiful Spring that transformed into summer, it became easier to enjoy the runs.

While I was saddened by races either being cancelled or made into virtual races, I decided it was time to work on my pace again.

I finished my 2nd reading of Deena Kastor's book, "Let Your Mind Run."


I dog eared a lot of pages with quotes and inspiration to take with me on my runs.

Tom and Ruth Anne are training for the Falmouth Road Race At Home Edition and were doing 6 miles on Saturday. I wanted to get in 3.25 miles and make it a fun tempo run. Tom and Ruth Anne took off ahead of me and I let my mind sort and sift through the different stories Deena shares about her journey.

One of the techniques she uses to take her mind off of any discomfort and to increase her pace is, "Reel that in," whether it's a competitor or a landmark of some kind.

I had a lot of fun playing running around the Reservoir with reel that person in or reel the house in. After I finished running around the Reservoir, I reeled in stop signs and poles.

Having a glorious weather day sure did help the pace along:


I was delighted to see negative splits and a fastest time since early May.

Tom texted me updates as they finished their 6 miles and I went out to greet them simulating a finish line:



And then we took our traditional post run selfie:


What a wonderful feeling that Team McManus reached their Saturday run goals being in competition with no one else but being the best we can be.

To quote George Sheehan:


Next Saturday we will do a shake out 5K in preparation for Sunday's virtual Falmouth Education 5K.

Technically with a virtual race we will be in competition with no one but I will be in competition with myself running free!

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com to be inspired by my journey from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and trauma to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond.

My books are available on Amazon.

To your health and wellness
With love from my heart to yours
Mary





No comments:

Post a Comment