Sunday, April 28, 2019

National Poetry Month: Bridge to Nowhere



This blog post is dedicated to Dr. Bernie Siegel!

As I set out on my healing quest to heal the effects of paralytic polio and trauma in February of 2007 and discovered the gift of poetry in my soul, I also listened to Bernie Siegel MD's meditation CD's Prescription for Living. As I emerged from one of these healing intervals as Dr. Bernie likes to call them, I felt this poem flow out of me:

From "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life":

The Bridge

Restlessness filled my cells
in the dark quiet of the night
transported to another time and place
to remember
loneliness
coldness
numbness
a black and white photo
a snapshot
knowing even then
I was separate from the walking dead.

Yet I was separate from the living
a wandering stranger
wondering
would I ever find my way
the veil of fog lifted
unveiling the bridge
soft lush green grass
purple wildflowers
vivid colors created by the hand of Divine Love
unbuckled my brace
quietly stepping out of my old shoes
my bare feet tickled
my soul happy and free
the bridge to nowhere
home at last!


Many of my poems began with an expression of how I felt in the past having endured years of abuse at the hands of family members shortly after contracting paralytic polio at age 5. But I didn't stay there. Through the power of my pen, my divining rod for healing, I was able to transform and heal the wounds of my past through the power of love!

Recently I was blessed to be a guest on Bernie's show, Mind Health Matters. You can listen to the interview by following this link.

Bernie and I have been friends since the 1980's when a nurse introduced me to his work. He became my CD or Chosen Dad teaching me how to love myself and how the power of love heals.



As I wrote poetry transforming the past, I witnessed a miraculous healing in mind, body and soul. I created a future very different from the ones the doctors predicted for me that I would spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. I discovered the sport of running that became my therapy and brought me into a village of runners where we share unconditional love and respect for one another.

What a blessing to be happy and free on the bridge to nowhere finding my way home!

From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and at Paper Fiesta in Natick on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon route.



No comments:

Post a Comment