Tuesday, April 9, 2019

National Poetry Month: Running Free



In February of 2007, on a cold dark day in the midst of the dark night of my mind, body and soul, a spark within me was lit through the power of my pen. While I sat in a leg brace using a cane and at times a wheelchair for mobility, my mind imagined myself free from the constraints of my then physical condition and free from the shackles of my past.

As I watched the scene "Run Forrest Run" over and over again, I imagined breaking free from my leg brace.

I feverishly wrote poems about transforming the trauma from my past and running free.

Running did not and does not come easy to me and yet when I am outside running, I transcend all struggle and become One with all that is and One with the amazing community of runners who embrace me being a part of the sport regardless of my pace or how I may look when I run.

From "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life":
It is easy to succumb to a diagnosis. There are many well documented cases of a person dying exactly when a doctor predicted they would. In one case, cited by Dr. Joe Dispenza in You Are The Placebo, a man believed that he had terminal cancer when on autopsy there was no indication of cancer anywhere in his body. He believed what the doctors told him and his body acted on those beliefs even though it was not the cancer that caused his death but his belief about the cancer. We embody what we believe and so I had to make a choice and I decided on:

A Well Chosen Path

PPS, MS, cancer stroke and more
many diagnoses exist in the doctor’s store
does diagnosis shape and a cripple does it make
or do I use the pain to choose the path I want to take?

No matter what the outcome there’s no way I can fail
for when I take the hand of God through adversity I sail.
The body is imperfect but my soul is shining free
there’s never any limit to the true essence of me.
I get in tune and get in step knowing every limb is healed
running wildly with the wind embracing flowers in the field.

I love myself beyond all words a message says to live
and from my open grateful heart to others do I give.


I imagined running as a horse runs in the wild with its mane rhythmically flowing with the breeze and with a stride that is strong, sure footed and graceful.

The Thoroughbred

A dark horse
dark past
finishing last
ready to quit
battered and bruised
a foal fouled
yet Spirit unbroken
a thoroughbred deep inside
despite appearances
all she needed was a chance
someone to believe in her
a horse whisperer
in the mist
amidst fog and foliage
she runs
breaking free
transformed
into the champion she was always meant to be.


and transformed the trauma with every mile that I imagined myself running:
The Source

Wellspring of joy flows deep within soul
rising surprisingly healing brokenness whole.
Thawing and melting magnificence made new
cleansing congestion reveals radiance True.

Miracles arise from this sacred space
fears and pain transformed by Your Loving Grace.
Running and laughing happiness free
a raucous rampage a celebration spree.

Grounded sure footed it's time fancy fine
Divine Love a waterfall cascading spine.
Fools were blind to this treasure so rare
unstoppable unceasing heart open to share.

The joy in the journey a sight to behold
the glory her triumphs she runs brave and bold.
Each footstep each mile transformed and made new
a champion reborn glorious Spirit shines through.


Soon, my imagination merged with reality and I laced up my running shoes stepping WAY out of my comfort zone on the road to the Boston Marathon.

"Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them." -Marcus Aurelius

Born to Run

Born free
born to run
run free
unencumbered untethered unshackled
pouring energy into my running form
liquid gold once fired in the crucible
now my treasure born of my Spirit molded with alchemy
refining
my precious treasure once buried
the map safely tucked away
X marks the spot
a new starting line.

Poised and ready
to go the distance
all out without hesitation
all is healed at last
my pace swift
Mercury and Hermes pace me on winged feet
I AM
born to run
running free
joyfully crossing the finish line with ease.


Running free and healing the effects of paralytic polio and trauma began in my imagination. It began to take form as I put pen to paper writing poems creating a new physical reality very different from what was my current situation and very different from the future the doctors predicted for me.

April is National Poetry Month and the month I get to celebrate my 2009 Boston Marathon run when I ran free and crossed the finish line as a woman transformed.

To your health and wellness
From my heart to yours
Mary

Be sure to visit my website by following this link.

My books are available on Amazon.



“The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” takes you on Mary McManus’ healing odyssey from a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond. After the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome in December 2006, Mary got still and asked for Divine Guidance tapping into the powerful connection she experienced to the Divine from an early age. She harnessed the power of her mind to heal her body, feverishly writing poetry in which she imagined herself healthy, whole and free from the shackles of her youth. Mary’s quest to heal her life led her to the sport of running. Her story is one that will leave you cheering for the underdog, discovering the meaning of different ability and experiencing the stunning view from the back of the pack of a race. You will have the privilege of bearing witness to how Mary overcame every challenge that life presented to her. The sport of running provides the backdrop for her journey of transformation from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience. Running became a way of life for Mary that tested her mettle while forging friendships to last a lifetime. As you’ll discover in “The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953” nothing, not even a serious knee injury in December of 2014 could stop her on the roads or in her life.

Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life


Coming Home: A Memoir of Healing Hope and Possibility that chronicles the first 7 years of my healing journey:


Going the Distance: The Power of Endurance (With a Foreword by Jacqueline Hansen):


My healing journey using the power of visualization is featured in David R. Hamilton's book, "How Your Mind Can Heal Your Body-Anniversary Edition." It's available on Amazon.












No comments:

Post a Comment