Tuesday, April 30, 2019

National Poetry Month: The Runner



National Poetry Month has given me a rare opportunity to take time and read the poems I wrote from 2007 to the present. I wrote most of my poems from 2007-2016. I continue to write poetry when Spirit moves me and it moves my mind, body and soul to continue to feel the heal. It is a blessing and a gift in my life to read and write my poetry and to enjoy the poetry of fellow poets.

Yesterday I went on a solo run. Tom had to be in work early and so I ventured out on my own after I dropped Tom off at work.

It was an unseasonably chilly late April day but the sun was shining. No rain, snow, sleet or ice and sun shining is a win when it comes to running in New England.

I had a tough time getting in the groove for my run. I remembered that I am training for the Finish at the 50 and need to continue to embody myself as the runner who emerged after the diagnosis of Post-Polio Syndrome.

I took time to both push my pace and savor the beautiful Spring day.



I was astounded by my negative splits inspired by two women whom I 'chose" as my competitors. They were ahead of me and I was able to pass them but then I stopped for water and they passed me again. There was a big gap between us and I knew if I pushed the pace any more than I was I would risk an injury. So I settled for third place feeling a wonderful clearing of mind, body and soul after I finished my 3.13 miles.

As I looked through "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life" for a poem to wrap up National Poetry Month, I came across:
The Runner

Beautiful bedazzling beckoning Spirit shimmering on water
gentle ripples
muscles rippling as I run by catching glimpse of my own reflection
families of turtles and geese
a new season
a time to love
Oneness
miracles of life abound
bearing witness
delicious decadent Divinity
feast for eyes and soul
quenches every thirst
her pace quickens
broad smile
transformed once more
the runner emerged
rubble from the past released to the Universe
the gravel beneath her winged feet
Hermes by her side
an Olympian going for the gold
the runner going the distance
running her own triumphant joyous race!


I cannot imagine my life without running. I am in awe of the journey of my transformation from having been told to prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair to the finish line of the 2009 Boston Marathon and beyond!

And to think it all started in my imagination with a poem, "Running the Race"!

Happy National Poetry Month!

From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and at Paper Fiesta in Natick on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon route.










No comments:

Post a Comment