Friday, April 26, 2019

National Poetry Month: Transformation



I've been celebrating the tenth anniversary of my 2009 Boston Marathon run and enjoy taking a look back at my journey both getting to the starting line in Hopkinton and every mile of the 26.2 miles from Hopkinton to Boston.

From "Feel the Heal: An Anthology of Poems to Heal Your Life":

Transformation

Mary, Mary had to be contrary
they wouldn’t let her garden grow
she held on tight as they tried to snuff out her light
she kept her Spirit safe, sheltered aglow.
A moral dilemma should she fight or leave
she knew darkness could never win
no more destruction let peace prevail
a new day she can now begin.
With deep breaths of healing, a new rhythm of life
one with ocean, the earth and stars
the ugliness pales, perfection can shine
and all that remains a few scars.
Mary, Mary no longer contrary
her blue eyes gentle, wise an ageless soul
all the events once held in her flesh flushed out
only love remains Mary’s now whole.
Mary, Mary so innocent and pure
no longer alone and in fear
a message of healing she brings to the world
journey well she wants all to hear.
May others discover this message of hope
Mary carries her message as a torch for life
courage and kindness, compassion and love
forgiveness the cure for all the world’s strife.
Her heart is so thankful that she made it through
let everyone’s garden grow wild and free
each sentient Being find their way home
to Be the person that they were always meant to Be.


Going back into a leg brace using a cane and at times a wheelchair for mobility and having been told that I should prepare to spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair threw me into a tailspin in December of 2006.



My life, much like the life of the caterpillar came to a screeching halt!

This is from Christmas 2007:


After working with a personal trainer, I declared I was going to run the 2009 Boston Marathon for Spaulding Rehab.

In June of 2008, I ran my first 5K race:


And I was on the road to the Boston Marathon!

The Marathon Sports 5 miler was excruciatingly painful mind, body and soul but I didn't quit!


We built miles while I experienced a journey of transformation happening with every foot strike:
Foot Strike

Each strike struck a chord of fear
helplessness
terror.
How would I ever reclaim my life?
Holding onto hope
waiting for the day
when memories would no longer weigh heavy
free to run my own race.
Stomping in anger
striking back
shadow boxing with the thief
who stole away childhood innocence
a no win.
Each foot strike ignites my soul
fired up to run my best race
taking the lead
breaking finisher’s tape

today I won my race.


I trained...I wrote poetry imagining success on Marathon Monday while leaving the past behind....I trained and I wrote poetry. I meditated harnessing the power of my mind to heal my body from the effects of paralytic polio and trauma.

And then ... on 4/20/2009 ... I flew free ...


It was a journey of transformation filled with pain, exhilaration, trials, triumphs, tribulations and excitement doing the impossible!


My recently released "The Adventures of Runnergirl 1953" fills you in on the details of this amazing journey of transformation ... from a survivor of childhood paralytic polio and severe trauma at the hands of family members to a woman who embodies faith, grace under fire, courage, determination, endurance and resilience.

From my heart to yours
In Health and Wellness,
Mary

Be sure to visit my website at www.marymcmanus.com

Hear my interview with Kendra Petrone on Magic 106.7's Exceptional Women Show by following this link

My books are available on Amazon and at Paper Fiesta in Natick on Mile 10 of the Boston Marathon route.



No comments:

Post a Comment